Adolph Benrud

07-09-2005-15-34-28-875_rdADOLPH BENRUD (4/10/1876 – 6/24/1957)

Peder Adolph Peterson was born near Cashton, WI, son of Anton and Maria (Dokken) Peterson (names later changed to “Benrud.”) He was baptized and confirmed in North Coon Prairie Lutheran Church, went to Woodard school, and later attended the Wisconsin Business University at La Crosse.  Following that, he learned the trade of granite cutting and monumental finishing at Red Wing, MN.
He was rejected for military duty in the Spanish War in 1898, because of an eye infection.  On June 26, 1901, he married Elvina Annette Anderson (1875-1969) at Reville, SD.  He was employed with the Hynne & Crosby Granite Company of La Crosse and later joined in partnership forming the Hynne-Benrud Granite Company. In 1918, he sold his interest in the company and moved to the Bethlehem District near Haywarden, Sask., where he farmed until 1926.  At that time he reentered the monumental finishing work at Regina, Sask., where he worked until his retirement in 1952.

Adolph and Elvina Benrud had two daughters: Muriel, Mrs, Vern Hunter / Arthur Hunter (1903- 1989); and Winnifred, Mrs.Henry Donbrook (1910-1999).  They were married 60 years.